VIDEO OF THE NOW

Friday, September 7, 2007

The U.S. vs. John Lennon



Recently I watched the excellent documentary "The U.S. vs. John Lennon." And it struck me how in the past we took for granted such enlightening and idealistic leaders in our pop culture. I suppose at the time, people just expected there would be someone around with such a powerful and inspiring message as John Lennon, and if people like John weren't there, someone would take their place. I think recently we have sadly seen this is just not the case as most of our pop icons today are mainly into self promotion and egomania, which has taken a very negative toll on our society.

Here are some quotes from Lennon featured in the movie that encapsulate what I am trying to express here:
"...if everyone had to go in a bag for a job (interview) there'd be no prejudices, you'd have to judge people on their qualities within. We call it Total Communication." Lennon on his tongue-in-cheek concept "Bagism"- a conceptual art publicity stunt designed to draw attention to issues regarding racism, prejudiced, and bigotry.

"If i'm a revolutionary, or we're revolutionaries, we're revolutionary artists, NOT gunmen...a peaceful revolutionary. I'm an artist first, and a politican second."

"I think they might think I'm gonna hot-up the revolution, ya know, I want to cool it down. If we make people laugh, that's enough. Happiness is a good vibe for peace. Make love, not war, thats all we're saying, just remember that. Peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace. Peace in your mind, peace on earth, peace at work, peace at home, peace in the world"

"Apathy isn't it. We can do something. So Flower Power didn't work,...so what? We start again."

My Personal Twitter Feed!

 
>