VIDEO OF THE NOW

Sunday, August 23, 2009

VERY Angry Songs: John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Alanis, Elton, and Hedwig (the angriest songs ever written)

Here is a collection of songs to help get you through the day when you are feeling really pissed off... So instead of punching someone in the nose, just punch your CD or mp3 player.

Up first on my list of VERY angry songs is "How Do You Sleep" by John Lennon which appears on his legendary "Imagine" album. At the time this song was first released, most music fans were under the impression that Paul McCartney was the one that initiated the break up of the Beatles..."So Sgt. Pepper took you by surprise...You better see right through that mother's eyes." Years later it was revealed that John Lennon was actually the one that wanted out of the Beatles. Before John got a chance to reveal this to the Beatles' fans, Paul beat him to the punch with the release of his first solo album "McCartney." One of Lennon's more clever lines in the song "The only thing you done was yesterday...And since you're gone you're just another day" would make sense, even if you had just arrived from another planet, and had never heard of Paul McCartney's "Yesterday" with the Beatles (see YouTube - yesterday), or Paul's big solo hit (YouTube - "Another Day" By Paul McCartney). John's implication was that Paul McCartney had lost his edge, and since Paul had left the Beatles was producing nothing but "silly love songs" which although were a huge success commercially, lacked any substance or depth. Hence the lyrics "The sound you make is muzak to my ears...You must have learned something in all those years." Furthermore, John makes a stunning false prophecy of Paul McCartney's demise with "A pretty face may last a year or two...But pretty soon they'll see what you can do" implying that McCartney's lack of real talent will soon be exposed and/or it will be plain to the whole world that John Lennon was the real genius behind the Beatles. Here is a performance of the song posted at youtube by ralel0404 which is from the movie "Imagine":

full lyrics: How Do You Sleep So Sgt. Pepper took you by surprise You better see right through that mother's eyes Those freaks was right when they said you was dead The one mistake you made was in your head Ah, how do you sleep?Ah, how do you sleep at night? You live with straights who tell you you was king Jump when your momma tell you anything The only thing you done was yesterday And since you're gone you're just another day Ah, how do you sleep?Ah, how do you sleep at night? Ah, how do you sleep?Ah, how do you sleep at night? A pretty face may last a year or two But pretty soon they'll see what you can do The sound you make is muzak to my ears You must have learned something in all those years Ah, how do you sleep? Ah, how do you sleep at night? Paul McCartney's "Let Me Roll It" on his classic album "Band on the Run" is said to be Paul's response to Lennon's so called "attack" on McCartney. Paul's line in the first verse "You Gave Me Loving In The Palm Of My Hand" is perhaps a reference to the Beatles' classic "I Wanna Hold Your Hand." (See YouTube - I Wanna Hold You - Beatles) The lyrics in the second verse "I Want To Tell You... You're going to be mine" perhaps is a message to George Harrison, who played guitar on the track (as you could see in the vid from "Imagine"), and also wrote "I Want To Tell You" on the Beatles' album "Revolver." (See YouTube - I Want To Tell You Beatles (Tribute) )
 (posted by heraldopm at youtube) Here is a more recent performance that is also worth seeing YouTube - Paul McCartney - Let Me Roll It. Full lyrics: Let Me Roll It You Gave Me Something. I Understand You Gave Me Loving In The Palm Of My Hand I Can't Tell You How I Feel My Heart Is Like A Wheel Let Me Roll It Let Me Roll It To You Let Me Roll It Let Me Roll It To You I Want To Tell You And Now's The Time I Want To Tell You That You're Going To Be Mine I Can't Tell You How I Feel My Heart Is Like A Wheel. Let Me Roll It Let Me Roll It To You Let Me Roll It Let Me Roll It To You
Up next on my list of superstar's songs for the super pissed off is "Idiot Wind" by Bob Dylan which appears on his classic album "Blood on the Tracks." Many fans and critics commonly interpret the song to be about issues ranging from Bob Dylan's anger at his treatment by the press, to his frustrations over the break up with his wife Sara. The song begins like many Bob Dylan classics with a strong storyline "Someone's got it in for me, they're planting stories in the press/Whoever it is I wish they'd cut it out quick, but when they will I can only guess/They say I shot a man named Gray, and took his wife to Italy/She inherited a million bucks, and when she died it came to me/I can't help it if I'm lucky." Some of the angrier lyrics that the super pissed off may identify with include "You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies/One day you'll be in the ditch, flies buzzing around your eyes/ Blood on your saddle." and " and "I noticed at the ceremony, your corrupt ways had finally made you blind/ I can't remember your face anymore, your mouth has changed your eyes don't look into mine" and "I been double-crossed now for the very last time, and now I'm finally free/I kissed goodbye the howling beast, on the borderline which separated you from me/You'll never know the hurt I suffered, nor the pain I raise above/ And I'll never know the same about you, your holiness or your kind of love/And it makes me feel so sorry."

 Idiot Wind by Bob Dylan on Grooveshark Full lyrics: Idiot Wind Someone's got it in for me, they're planting stories in the press Whoever it is I wish they'd cut it out quick but when they will I can only guess They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me I can't help it if I'm lucky. People see me all the time and they just can't remember how to act Their minds are filled with big ideas, images and distorted facts Even you yesterday you had to ask me where it was at I couldn't believe after all these years you didn't know even me better than that Sweet lady. Idiot wind blowing every time your move your mouth Blowing down the backroads heading south Idiot wind blowing every time you move your teeth You're an idiot babe It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe I ran into the fortune-teller who said beware of lightning that might strike I haven't known peace and quit for so long I can't remember what it's like There's a lone soldier on the cross smoke pouring out of a boxcar door You didn't know it you didn't think it could be done in the final end he won the wars After losing every battle. I woke up on the roadside daydreaming about the way things sometimes are Visions of your chestnut mare shoot through my head and are making me see stars You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies One day you'll be in the ditch, flies buzzing around your eyes Blood on your saddle. Idiot wind blowing through the flowers on your tomb Blowing through the curtains in your room Idiot wind blowing every time you move your teeth You're an idiot babe It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe. It was gravity which pulled us down and destiny which broke us apart You tamed the lion in my cage but it just wasn't enough to change my heart Now everything's a little upside down, as a matter of fact the wheels have stopped What's good is bad what's bad is good you'll find out when you reach the top You're on the bottom.I noticed at the ceremony, your corrupt ways had finally made you blind I can't remember your face anymore, your mouth has changed your eyes don't look into mine The priest wore black on the seventh day and sat stone faced while the building burned I waited for you on the running boards, near the cypress trees while the springtime turned Slowly into autumn. Idiot wind blowing like a circle around my skull From the Grand Coulee Dam to Capitol Idiot wind blowing every time you move you teeth You're an idiot babe. It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe. I can't feel you anymore, I can't even touch the books you've read Every time I crawl past your door, I been wishing I was somebody else instead Down the highway down the tracks down the road to ecstasy I followed you beneath the stars hounded by your memory And all you raging glory. I been double-crossed now for the very last time and now I'm finally free I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me You'll never know the hurt I suffered nor the pain I raise above And I'll never know the same about you your holiness or your kind of love And it makes me feel so sorry. Idiot wind blowing through the buttons of our coats Blowing through the letters that we wrote Idiot wind blowing through the dust upon our shelves We're idiots babe It's a wonder we can even feed ourselves. 

  Up next on our list of very ticked-off tunes is "Uninvited" by Alanis Morissette, which originally appeared on the "City of Angels" soundtrack, but these days can also be gotten on Alanis Morissette's great CD album "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" as a bonus track. It is an anthem we can sing when trying to kick all the really big jerks out of our life, and "un-invite" these toxic people from our existence so peace, and love may once again flourish. Some of the more poignant lyrics: "Like any uncharted territory/I must seem greatly intriguing/You speak of my love like/You have experienced love like mine before." Alanis seems upset that her passion, emotion, and dedication are not being appreciated,...as if to say 'don't you know real love when you see it? don't you know this doesn't come around very often?' (posted by crystaltearsvampire at youtube) Full lyrics: Uninvited Like anyone would be I am flattered by your fascination with me Like any hot blooded woman I have simply wanted an object to crave But you you're not allowed You're uninvited An unfortunate slight Must be strangely exciting To watch the stoic squirm Must be somewhat heartening To watch shepherd meet shepherd But you you're not allowed You're uninvited An unfortunate slight Like any uncharted territory I must seem greatly intriguing You speak of my love like You have experienced love like mine before But this is not allowed You're uninvited An unfortunate slight I don't think you unworthy I need a moment to deliberate.

And well how could any list of angry songs be truly complete without Elton John's "The Bitch is Back." He is not calling anyone a "bitch" except maybe himself. Bernie Taupin (the lyric writing half of the Elton John/Bernie Taupin songwriting tandem) wrote these lyrics as a tribute to Elton's ability to "bitch" about this and "bitch" about that. As Elton "Hercules" John further explains, "I can bitch, cuz I'm better than you...It's the way that I move, the things that I do." Here is a pretty good performance of "The Bitch is Back" on "Top of the Pops" in 1974 though Elton messed up the lyrics a little bit:
(posted by evanswho at youtube) Full lyrics: The Bitch is Back I was justified when I was five Raising Cain, I spit in your eye Times are changing, now the poor get fat But the fever's gonna catch you when the bitch gets back Eat meat on Friday that's alright Even like steak on a Saturday night I can bitch the best at your social do's I get high in the evening sniffing pots of glue I'm a bitch, I'm a bitch Oh the bitch is back Stone cold sober as a matter of fact I can bitch, I can bitch `Cause I'm better than you It's the way that I move The things that I do I entertain by picking brains Sell my soul by dropping names I don't like those, my God, what's that Oh it's full of nasty habits when the bitch gets back


And last but not least, is "Angry Inch" from the movie "Hedwig and The Angry Inch." The song begins with the shocking lyrics: "My sex-change operation got botched/My guardian angel fell asleep on the watch/Now all I got is a Barbie Doll-crotch/ I got an angry inch." And quite honestly, who among us would not be royally pissed about something like that?

 (posted by Perregas at youtube)

 Full lyrics: Angry Inch from the movie "Hedwig and The Angry Inch" My sex-change operation got botched My guardian angel fell asleep on the watch Now all I got is a Barbie Doll-crotch I got an angry inch Six inches forward and five inches back I got a I got an angry inch Six inches forward and five inches back I got a I got an angry inch Im from the land where you still hear the cries I had to get out, had to sever all ties I changed my name and assumed a disguise I got an angry inch Six inches forward and five inches back I got a I got an angry inch Six inches forward and five inches back I got a I got an angry inch Six inches forward and five inches back The train is coming and Im tied to the track I try to get up but I cant get no slack I got a Angry Inch Angry Inch My mother made my t*ts out of clay My boyfriend told me that he'd take me away They dragged me to the doctor one day I've got an angry inch Six inches forward and five inches back I got a I got an angry inch Six inches forward and five inches back I got a I got an angry inch Six inches forward and five inches back The train is coming and Im tied to the track I try to get up but I cant get no slack I got an Angry Inch Angry Inch Six inches forward and five inches back stay under cover till the night turns to black I got my inch and Im set to attack I got an Angry Inch Angry Inch You have been reading http://jimmyfungus.com. Once again God bless you, and thank you for your support.

My Personal Twitter Feed!

 
>